Jeffrey M. Thomson
Jeffrey M. Thomson is a partner in the Birmingham, Michigan office of Morganroth & Morganroth, PLLC. He joined the firm in 2008 upon his graduation from Wayne State University Law School. Mr. Thomson concentrates his practice in the areas of complex commercial and business litigation, intellectual property, labor and employment, insurance, alternative dispute resolution and white collar criminal defense.
Mr. Thomson has been selected to the Michigan Super Lawyers Rising Stars list for the years of 2013-2018. Each year, no more than 2.5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by the research team at Super Lawyers to receive this honor.
Mr. Thomson has successfully counseled and represented many individuals and businesses at the trial and appellate levels. Examples of the types of matters which Mr. Thomson has handled include:
- Co-counsel for beneficiaries of life insurance policy in federal court lawsuit challenging denial of claim for benefits. Successfully obtained jury verdict in excess of $3 million, inclusive of interest, costs and attorney fees. Reported as the 12th largest verdict in the State of Michigan during 2012 by Michigan Lawyers Weekly.
- Co-counsel for two law firms and an accounting firm in adversary proceeding seeking to collect in excess of $500,000 in unpaid fees for services rendered on behalf of debtor who filed for bankruptcy. Successfully obtained summary judgment award excepting a substantial portion of unpaid fees from discharge in bankruptcy, and subsequently reached a favorable settlement with regard to the remaining unpaid fees.
- Lead counsel for custom homebuilder in administrative enforcement action brought by Michigan Department of Labor and Economic Growth. Successfully obtained dismissal of proceeding without any fines and/or sanctions being imposed upon client.
- Co-counsel for custom homebuilder in arbitration proceeding brought by homeowner seeking to recover in excess of $7 million, resulting in dismissal of entire claim in favor of client on summary judgment.
- Co-counsel for homeowner in connection with lawsuit brought by roofing contractor. Successfully obtained outright dismissal of lawsuit prior to filing any responsive pleading, and without any payment to contractor.
- Co-counsel for white collar criminal defendant federally indicted on numerous felony charges. Successfully obtained suppression of substantial amount of evidence unlawfully seized by the FBI from client's office.
- Co-counsel for inventor in lawsuit against publicly traded first tier automotive supplier. Reached settlement in favor of inventor resulting in payment of substantial funds and transfer of ownership of numerous patents which rightfully belonged to inventor.
- Co-counsel for supplier of accessories for portable handled consumer electronic devices in design patent infringement action seeking to enjoin sale of infringing products, and to recover damages resulting from such infringement. Successfully obtained settlement in favor of inventor.
- Co-counsel for member of multi-million dollar limited liability company involved in the supply of chemical manufacturing technologies to the solar energy industry in arbitration proceeding regarding a dispute as to the valuation of client's membership interest in company. Successfully negotiated favorable settlement on behalf of client.
- Co-counsel for automotive dealer seeking to recover in excess of $10 million in damages as a result of accounting malpractice committed by big four accounting firm. Obtained favorable settlement on behalf of client.
Mr. Thomson earned his Bachelor's degree in 2005 from the Eli Broad College of Business at Michigan State University with dual majors in General Business Administration and Economics, graduating with honors. In 2008, Mr. Thomson earned his Juris Doctor degree from the Wayne State University Law School, Cum Laude, where he was a member of the law review.
Mr. Thomson is a member of the State Bar of Michigan, and is also admitted to practice before the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan and the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Return to Attorneys