Jeffrey B. Morganroth
Jeffrey B. Morganroth is the managing partner of Morganroth & Morganroth, which is listed in the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers. Mr. Morganroth formed the law firm in January 1989 along with his father, Mayer Morganroth. At a very young age, Mr. Morganroth decided that he wanted to be a lawyer, and he hoped to some day work with his father.
Mr. Morganroth has handled legal matters in virtually every practice area after joining and being trained by his father in the practice of law. Mr. Morganroth has extensive experience in numerous practice areas, including complex commercial litigation, intellectual property litigation, constitutional litigation, business matters, real estate matters, white collar criminal matters, employment and labor matters, class actions, collective actions, corporate matters, securities litigation, appellate matters, civil rights and discrimination matters, product liability litigation, mass torts, insurance matters, professional malpractice matters, personal injury litigation, family law matters and entertainment matters.
Mr. Morganroth represents plaintiffs and defendants in court matters in numerous different state and federal courts and jurisdictions as well as in arbitrations, mediations and appeals, including the United States Supreme Court, Michigan Supreme Court, Washington, D.C. Court of Appeals (highest Court of the District of Columbia) and United States Court of Appeals in various Circuits.
Mr. Morganroth has served as lead counsel or co-counsel with his father, Mayer Morganroth, on behalf of numerous high profile clients such as, for example, Daniel Gilbert, Quicken Loans, John Z. DeLorean, Dr. Jack Kevorkian, Mayor Coleman A. Young, Christine Beatty, U.S. Representative John Conyers, Edward J. Holland, Jr., Chad Smith, Xenith, LLC, the Cleveland Cavaliers, Jack Entertainment, Rock Ventures LLC, and Bedrock Detroit LLC.
Examples of the types of matters that Mr. Morganroth has handled include:
- Lead counsel in a complex commercial litigation on behalf of a software automotive engineering company against a large automotive manufacturer that resulted in a breach of contract and tortious interference judgment of $24.8 million in favor of his client and a no cause of action against the automotive manufacturer as to its $18 million counterclaim, which was resolved after a lengthy arbitration trial and affirmed in all respects after full briefing and oral argument in the Michigan Circuit Court, Michigan Court of Appeals and Michigan Supreme Court.
- Co-counsel in a complex commercial matter against two large national grocery chains that resulted in a breach of contract and fraud judgment in favor of his client in the amount of $31.0 million after a lengthy jury trial.
- Lead trial counsel in case of Henry v Quicken Loans Inc., United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan Case No. 2:04-cv-40346, defending Quicken Loans in an FLSA collective action consisting of 359 plaintiffs that resulted in a no cause of action in favor of his client after a lengthy jury trial in federal court, which was affirmed in its entirety by the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, Case No. 11-2125.
- Co-counsel participating in briefs and appearing for oral argument on February 21, 2012 on behalf of Respondent in U.S. Supreme Court case Freeman v. Quicken Loans Inc., U.S. Supreme Court Case No. 10-1042, that resulted in a unanimous opinion rendered by the U.S. Supreme Court in favor of his client, Quicken Loans.
- Co-counsel in a Whistleblower Protection Act lawsuit that resulted in a substantial judgment in favor of his client after a lengthy jury trial and appeal, and resulted in a clarification of the application of the statute of limitations by the Michigan Supreme Court.
- Co-counsel on behalf of John Z. DeLorean and his affiliated entities for five years involving the successful defense of substantial civil cases, the successful prosecution of several civil cases resulting in favorable judgments and/or settlements, complex business matters and real estate matters.
- Co-counsel on behalf of Dr. Jack Kevorkian in appellate matters and the successful petition for his early release from prison.
- Co-counsel in defense of a $1.2 billion RMBS put back suit that resulted in the dismissal of the case by the US District Court for the Southern District of New York and affirmed by the Second Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Co-counsel for Christine Beatty in the Wayne County criminal case alleging perjury, obstruction of justice and misconduct in office.
- Lead counsel on behalf of a large financing company in the successful defense of numerous lawsuits involving commercial business disputes over a protracted period of serving as legal counsel for the finance company.
- Lead counsel on behalf of a significant real estate construction management company in the successful defense of several litigation matters (court and arbitration) alleging breach of contract, negligence, gross negligence, copyright infringement and/or fraud over a protracted period of serving as legal counsel for the real estate construction management company.
- Co-counsel in administrative proceedings which: (1) resulted not only in restoring but upgrading the security clearance of his client, an army engineer who had been falsely accused of being a spy, from secret to the highest level, top secret; and (2) further resulted in an investigation and an official report issued through the Office of the Inspector General, Department of Defense, pursuant to a Congressional request, which formally exposed that the false charges of his client being a spy were the product of religious discrimination.
- Co-counsel on behalf of the plaintiff in a fraud and breach of contract case resulting in a federal court judgment in the amount of $10.4 million after a lengthy jury trial and appeal.
- Lead counsel and/or co-counsel in several different matters on behalf of corporate entities seeking recovery of significant sums embezzled and/or converted by employees through schemes to defraud that resulted in substantial judgments and successful criminal prosecution of the wrongdoers in each case based upon the work product and evidence derived from such legal representation.
- Co-counsel on behalf of victims from Ponzi schemes in both trial and appellate levels which ultimately resulted in favorable judgments and/or settlements on behalf of his clients.
- Co-counsel in a series of product liability cases currently pending against the cell phone industry in Washington, DC in which a decision was obtained from the highest court in Washington, DC in favor of his clients denying the cell phone industry's attempts to dismiss the cases on grounds of federal preemption.
- Co-counsel in a copyright infringement case against a major motion picture company that resulted in a $19.0 million judgment in favor of his client after a lengthy jury trial.
- Lead counsel in the successful defense of numerous lawsuits against advertising/marketing companies run by a well-known principal involving commercial business disputes over a protracted period of serving as legal defense counsel for those clients.
- Co-counsel on behalf of Christine Beatty as a defendant in the Flagg/Tamara Greene federal court case which resulted in the complete dismissal of Ms. Beatty from the case prior to trial.
- Co-counsel in a RICO and securities fraud case against a large investment banking institution that resulted in a substantial settlement in favor of his clients.
- Lead counsel and/or co-counsel on behalf of borrowers and guarantors in connection with substantial workouts with lenders and/or the successful defense in court litigation.
- Lead counsel in the successful defense of various class actions and/or collective actions some of which sought relief in excess of $1.0 billion.
- Lead counsel on behalf of two defendants in a minority oppression lawsuit seeking substantial relief that resulted in the dismissal of all claims.
Mr. Morganroth earned his Bachelor's degree in English Literature from The University of Michigan with Distinction, and his Juris Doctor degree from Georgetown University Law Center, Cum Laude, where he also was a member of Law Review as an Associate Editor for The Tax Lawyer.
Mr. Morganroth has spoken and/or presented at conferences dealing with various legal issues or cases across the country.
Mr. Morganroth is licensed to practice law in the States of Michigan and New York, and Washington, D.C. He has been admitted to practice in numerous federal courts and appellate courts, including the Supreme Court of the United States, as well as pro hac vice in many different states. Mr. Morganroth is a member of Oakland County, New York, Washington, D.C. and The American Bar Associations, as well as the American Association for Justice, the Michigan Association for Justice and the Mass Tort Trial Lawyers Association. He is a Michigan State Bar Foundation Fellow and an Oakland County Bar Foundation Fellow. Mr. Morganroth is rated "AV Preeminent" by Martindale-Hubbell/LexisNexis, the highest possible rating in both legal ability and ethical standards, and he is listed in Super Lawyers, and the National Law Journal's top lawyers in Michigan and top lawyers in New York.
Mr. Morganroth is recognized as a 2017 Top Lawyer in The Global Directory of Who’s Who. Mr. Morganroth has also received the American Institute of Legal Counsel Client Satisfaction Top 10 Best Award.
Return to Attorneys