Jill A. Gurfinkel
Jill A. Gurfinkel is a Partner in the Birmingham, Michigan office of Morganroth & Morganroth. Ms. Gurfinkel's practice primarily focuses on complex commercial litigation, general civil litigation, product liability litigation and family law. She joined the firm in 2000 after graduating from Wayne State University Law School.
Ms. Gurfinkel has extensive experience in a wide range of complex commercial litigation, including litigation against the wireless telephone industry in a series of cases based upon the adverse health effects linked to cell phone use. Ms. Gurfinkel's experience involves representing clients from a lawsuit's inception through appeal including facilitation and other forms of alternative dispute resolution. In addition to complex and general litigation, Ms. Gurfinkel regularly handles high conflict family law matters including post-judgment custody matters.
A few examples of some of the types of matters Ms. Gurfinkel has handled include:
- Co-counsel in a series of product liability cases currently pending against the cell phone industry in Washington, D.C., in which a decision was obtained from the highest court in Washington, D.C., in favor of her clients denying the cell phone industry's attempts to dismiss the cases on grounds of federal preemption.
- Co-counsel on behalf of corporate entity seeking recovery of significant sums embezzled and/or converted by a manager through a scheme to defraud that resulted in a substantial judgment and successful criminal prosecution of the wrongdoers based upon the work product and evidence derived from such legal representation.
- Co-counsel on behalf of victims of a Ponzi scheme in both the trial and appellate levels which ultimately resulted in a significant settlement on behalf of her clients.
- Lead and/or co-counsel in high-conflict divorce and custody cases;
- Co-counsel on behalf of corporate entity seeking to enforce a bond claim with their insurance carrier which resulted in a significant settlement on behalf of her clients.
- Co-counsel in a copyright infringement case against a major motion picture company which resulted in a $19 million judgment in favor of her client after a lengthy jury trial.
- Co-counsel on behalf of restaurant entrepreneur against its landlord for wrongful termination of an established restaurant lease based upon discrimination by the landlord in violation of the Michigan Elliott Larsen Civil Rights Act which resulted in a significant settlement on behalf of her client and the long-term renewal of the restaurant's lease.
- Co-counsel on behalf of a large real estate developer in connection with a protracted arbitration which ultimately resulted in a dismissal of all claims against her client.
- Co-counsel defending a bankruptcy adversary proceeding and related criminal proceedings in Michigan and New Jersey.
- Co-counsel defending real estate developers in connection with several lawsuits initiated by nationwide banks seeking to foreclose on real property and collect substantial sums pursuant to loan agreements and personal guaranties which ultimately led to a favorable workout resolution.
Ms. Gurfinkel earned her Bachelor's degree from the University of Michigan-Dearborn with Distinction, and her Juris Doctor degree from Wayne State University Law School, where she was a member of the Moot Court National Team.
Ms. Gurfinkel is licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan, in both the state and federal courts.
Ms. Gurfinkel is a member of the State Bar of Michigan, American Bar Association, Oakland County Bar Association and the U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan.
Return to Attorneys